Wednesday 22 April 2015

Why, that's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!


Gooood Morning Pixel Land! We're taking a break from our thoughts for a day and instead thought we'd start heading into the wilderness of other people's minds. Today, we're talking to Recollect Review and they have chosen their theme, the amazing Guile's theme from SFII. Plug in on the left as usual, and enjoy some classic beats.

It seems to be a growing trend these days. Retro is making a comeback and, as we progress, so much more is being carried under that catch all umbrella. Where it used to be just the 8-bit classics, we're now looking at even PS1 and some even class PS2 games as Retro. Either way you look at it, there's a whole host of goodies waiting for the gaming uneducated to dig into.

Recollect Review is a fairly simple premise. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man... who likes going back to the games he was unable (or didn't get a chance) to complete. Recollect review, an old loner on a crusade, to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless... ok, my Knight Rider paraphrasing may have to come to an end here.

Like us RR loves to look back and wallow in nostalgia, and though it's just starting out, there are a fair amount of reviews already on their RecollectReview Blog and they are adding more as we go. we thought it would be nice to have a sit down and go over their Origin story, where gaming is concerned.

Hey there and thanks for taking the time with us today. We're going over Gaming Origins... What's the first thing that you remember hooking you into gaming? Any particular Characters, consoles, or games? 

Cannon Fodder on my eldest brother's Amiga. That was the very first game I ever remember and laughing my 3 year old head off when I saw there was a level called "Bugger Me It's Cold". My own first console was a SEGA Mega Drive with Sonic The Hedgehog, I used to have to call my other brother upstairs to defeat Dr. Robotnik in Green Hill Zone, I just couldn't get past that big gold ball! 

When you think of "Retro Gaming", what pops into your head?

Family. Playing games with my brother, Golden Axe II and Street Fighter II. My dad playing PGA Tour Golf, my friend owning a SNES and me owning a SEGA and being envious of each other. 

That actually brought a little tear to my eye. A lot of people forget how gaming can bring people together. Anyway, we've all grown up since the 90s... but we still love heading back and playing older games. Do you ever head back down memory lane yourselves? 

Every chance I get. I prefer them.

Right then, console Wars... Please list your preference, high to low 

1. Nintendo 2. SEGA 3. Sony 4. Microsoft 

Well, that maps out your Gaming journey pretty well. Thanks again for spending time with us :D 

It almost harks back to our recent post about technology and children. A lot of people see gaming as antisocial and while it does have the potential to be that, I think it's important to remember that it can also bring people together and form some really happy memories.

We'll be back soon with more whimsy and opinion pieces (and a chat with The Oliver Twins creators of our favourite gaming series Dizzy) so hang around. If you want to know more about Recollect Review you can head over to their BLOG or, of course, find them on TWITTER





No comments:

Post a Comment